Greater New Bedford Connecting Activities Partnership
Connecting Activities Releases Focus Group Report
The Connecting Activities program has released their industry focus group report which details the results of four industry focus groups with area business leaders. The report details the benefits of the high school internship program for students, businesses and the community. It also includes ways to improve the program in order to provide students with better career guidance and a more fulfilling internship experience. See all of the details of the report by clicking here.
What is Connecting Activities?
Connecting Activities ties together both work-based and school-based learning. Area employers provide youth with a meaningful worksite learning experience that builds academic, technical and workplace skills. These unpaid internships assist students in making more informed decisions about the education that they will need to be successful in a variety of career paths, including college, technical training, apprenticeships and more. Connecting Activities strives to integrate the educational needs of youth and the workforce needs of employers.
Click here to learn more about the Work-Based Learning Plan
Connecting Activities Involves:
- Provides an opportunity for employers to make a positive impact on classroom curriculum and instructional practices
- Improves the skill level of the workforce and the overall quality of life in the community
- Creates relationships with schools to assist and support workforce development
- Provides employers with interns that are interested in their industry
- Contributes to increasing the educational attainment within the community
- Student Benefits:
- Allows students to make more informed decisions regarding career pursuits and college studies
- Focuses students on developing the competencies for success
- Inspires stronger academic performance with real-world learning
- Enables students to explore interests in career possibilities by building relationships with potential employers
How can you get involved?
If you are a student…Contact your guidance counselor or a School to Career Coordinator in your school.
If you are an educator or an employer contact:
Brenna Souza, Youth Services Coordinator
SouthCoast Chamber of Commerce
794 Purchase Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
Tel 508-999-5231 ext. 29